Running a small business is challenging. From small one person do all craft shops to brick and mortar, balancing your life with accountants, technology and the IRS watching every penny you earn is a continuous marathon of chasing paper and numbers. Recently I published a book. I’ve had a blast visiting bookstores, conventions, museums and maker spaces, showing my beautiful jewelry book about Burning Man to passionate and enthusiastic folks. To my horror, I realized that collecting taxes in all these states was necessary. Searching through various government databases is... well... tedious. A root canal is more fun. Daunted by this task, I enlisted my CPA, Rich Streitfeld. He actually likes crunching numbers and as it turns out, really good at isolating the exact tax links necessary to make artists and writers and sellers life easier. Thanks Rich! Now I get to share them with you!
Aaronson, Lavoie Streitfeld Diaz and Co, PC
1604 Broad Street, Cranston, RI 02905
401.223.0205 x118 fax 401.223-0209
Tax permit links from Rich Streitfeld
NEW YORK: You have to apply for a “Certificate of Authority” to collect sales tax
The instructions are:
- Go to NY License Center and click on Businesses :
- Log in or create an account
- Select Apply now for a new license or permit
- Search for Application for a Certificate of Authority
There is more information here.
You apply for a sales tax here, it looks like online registration is possible.
Here is the check list. that was found here.
Before receiving a permit
- You must provide the following to receive a Seller's Permit:
- Your social security number (corporate officers excluded)
- Your date of birth
- Your driver license number, state ID number, or other ID (e.g., passport, military ID)
- Names and location of banks where you have an account
- Names and addresses of suppliers
- Name and address of bookkeeper or accountant
- Name and address of personal references
- Expected average monthly sales and the amount of those sales which are taxable
- Your email address
- If you have purchased an existing business, you must also provide the previous permit information
Partners, corporate officers, limited liability company managers/members/officers, must also provide information
“Start or Register A Business” top right under Online Services
Rhode Island – on-line link:https://www.ri.gov/taxation/BAR/ Go to bottom “Begin”
Maine – on-line link:https://www.maine.gov/cgi-bin/online/suwtaxreg/index Go to bottom “Get started now”
Probably check off first option (for reason b) and continue to create an account.